The Passing Parade: Cheap Shots from a Drive By Mind

"...difficile est saturam non scribere. Nam quis iniquae tam patiens urbis, tam ferreus, ut teneat se..." "...it is hard not to write Satire. For who is so tolerant of the unjust City, so steeled, that he can restrain himself... Juvenal, The Satires (1.30-32) akakyakakyevich@gmail.com

Thursday, March 19, 2009

HAPPY SAINT PADDY'S DAY REDUX: Every year, either a little before or after the 17th, the constant reader of The Passing Parade has to put up with yet another screed in which I complain of the growing drunken debauchery of Saint Patrick's Day. Those interested in reading those screeds can go to the archives and read them. But if a picture is worth a thousand words, then the attached will go a long way towards explaining what always ticks me off about the hordes of louts who yearly turn an ethnic and religious holiday into a cretinous celebration of stereotyping. The young lady to the left, whose parents, I am sure, are very proud of the scores she got on her SATs, is simply the latest and most vulgar of this carnival. I don't think I would mind the loutishness if the 17th was the feast day of Saint Jeff Spicoli; I could accept the stupidity of the celebrants as no more or no less than the meed due to the founder of the day; but I dislike these idiots using Saint Patrick as an excuse to be stupid. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Posted by Picasa
|
<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home