The Passing Parade: Cheap Shots from a Drive By Mind

"...difficile est saturam non scribere. Nam quis iniquae tam patiens urbis, tam ferreus, ut teneat se..." "...it is hard not to write Satire. For who is so tolerant of the unjust City, so steeled, that he can restrain himself... Juvenal, The Satires (1.30-32) akakyakakyevich@gmail.com

Saturday, September 24, 2005

MUSIC MEME: Someone passed this meme over to Fran at Eternity Road this and, for reasons best known to himself, he has passed it on over to me. I was a little crestfallen when I saw the topic of the meme; you will see why in a minute.

1. How much music do I have?

None. I don't buy CDs, tapes, eight tracks, vinyl, cassettes, or whatever the current audiorecording technology is. If I did buy them, the technology would be obsolete the next week and I wouldn't be able to play the music anyway. So I don't buy them at all. I listen to classical music on WMHT out of Schenectady; all of my serious music listening is done in my car on my way to and home from work.

2. What was the last CD I bought?

I've never bought a CD. I think the last record I bought was something by Creedence Clearwater Revival back in 1973. No, now that I think of it, the last record I bought was Springsteen's Born to Run in 1975 or so. I wore the needle out listening to that.

3. What am I listening to right now?

Right now? As in here at work? Well, I'm listening to Paul Whiteman and his orchestra play Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, in a version recorded in 1927. Lots of pops and hisses, which are annoying but inevitable when listening to records that old. I found the link over at Irish Elk

4. Name five songs that mean a lot to me.

As Time Goes By: Anything with Ingrid Bergman is great.

Once Upon A Time: Tony Bennett's version is the best.

Aquarela do Brasil: Disney put this in his wartime Good Neighbor Policy salute, Saludos Amigos. When I hear this song, it always reminds me of that movie and of Brazil, a place so magical that bunches of bananas can turn into toucans with a back beat in less time than it takes for one of my relatives to ask for money and me to say no.

One For My Baby: is there anyone better than Sinatra? I doubt it. I miss Frank.

Ran Kan Kan:
how can you stay still listening to this? I miss Tito, too.

5. I'm passing this meme on to...

The high command of the blogosphere informs me that it will not be possible for me to pass this meme on to anyone else, given the many improvements in antibiotics made possible by genetic engineering. So I guess this portion of the epidemic ends with me.
|
<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home